PEPPERTOWN IS HERE!!!

BUBBLE FOX

BUBBLE FOX
Now "Popping" at the CRAZY Forest! Updates Tuesdays and Thursdays

Check Out My Twitter

Thursday, August 11, 2011

NO WONDER THEY WENT UNDER

It's been a busy week for me folks. I just finished loading in Mary Poppins at the San Diego Civic Theater, had to load out Katy Perry at the Sports Arena and will be loading in Monday Night RAW this coming Monday at the arena! Anybody who regularly reads this blog no doubt knows that I am a lifelong wrestling fan, especially when it comes to the WWF (That's right World Wildlife Fund, you read that right!). In fact, I have been involved in one way or another with every RAW that has ever been broadcast in San Diego. The first time it came to town (1998), it was still taped on alternate weeks, and my brother Dante and me bought the last two tickets. In 2003, my brother snagged me comp tickets to the show, by then a weekly live broadcast. Every show since, I've worked it. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about the whole thing and can't wait 'til Monday!

In the meantime, it's time to do something that I haven't done in two months: A FUNNY WRESTLING POST! I got quite a few angry e-mails from people demanding more wrestling and less Comic Con. Well, I'm always happy to oblige, so sit back and enjoy the show...

Sibling tag teams are nothing new to wrestling, although they're not quite as frequent as they used to be. WCW in 90's, however, seemed to be loaded with brotherly tandems, with the Harlem Heat (real life brothers Booker and Steven Huffman) and the Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott, also legit brothers) leading the way. The Steiner Bros. are no doubt one of the greatest tag teams ever, but it was always obvious that younger brother Scott was the more talented member of the team and by 1998, the two bitterly split up after Scott joined the nWo. For a better part of the next year, the two battled back and forth, leading to a match at Halloween Havoc 98. In the months leading up to the show, a bizarre cackling laugh would fill the arena anytime Rick Steiner came out. Fans were baffled, but many pretty much shrugged it off, thinking that nothing would ever really come of it. Had they only known.

It was on Nitro one night that Rick came down to the ring to have an interview with "Mean" Gene Okerlund. Rick Steiner was never particularly gifted on the mic, so after attempting to put the fans at ringside to sleep for a few seconds, the cackling once again started, only this time, it had a source, for up on the video the wall, the culprit was finally revealed:

That's right folks, WCW felt that the best way to get Rick Steiner over was to have him feud with Chucky, the demented rag doll of the Child's Play movies. Having apparently learned nothing from the Robocop/Sting fiasco from 1990, WCW once again tried to cross-promote with the movie industry, this time teaming up with the film Bride of Chucky. Needless to say, the movie flopped and WCW dropped the whole thing the very next day, once again leading to a colossal waste of time and money.

As for Rick Steiner, he pretty much hung around WCW 'til the very end, winning several titles along the way and even reunited with Scott. Sadly, the bad angles only continued, one of which led to him "winning" the tag titles with "Buff" Bagwell's mother, Judy (trust me folks, the less said about that one the better). Other than a couple of TNA appearances, Rick's more or less been retired these last few years. You know, I realize Rick Steiner wasn't on his brother's level, but come on! Even the "dog-faced" gremlin deserved better than this!

Well folks, that's all for this week. I'll be back next time with some form of amusement for you. If you like what you see or want to recommend a bad gimmick, leave a comment and I'll try my best to get to it (No cartoon ideas please; I Can't afford to pay royalties!). Take care, and I'll catch y'all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment